Class of 2013

Class of 2013
SGS is the BEST!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Another Person's Perspective by Emily Hodge

One of the most awe inspiring novels that ever hit the market was “To Kill a Mockingbird,” by Harper Lee. “To Kill a Mockingbird” was a story about a simple town with people who were blinded by their prejudice, these two children are going to find out that life isn’t really perfect with the help and protection of the acclaimed phantom Boo Radley. Atticus expresses to the children that “you never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view- until you climb in his skin and walk around in it”. This quote really jumped out and spoke to me, it can mean a variety of different things. I feel that this quote is directed towards Boo Radley, because no one really understood why he stayed in his home for so long. This really showed me that people are quick to judge others because of things that they find different or weird. Boo simply wanted to stay in and keep away from the judgemental people of the town. People were quick to judge him by saying things like he was a monster, he ate cats, left his house at  night to stare in ladies windows and many other absurd things. He really didn’t do any of those things and was quite nice. When we found out what he was really like, I was surprised because I felt that maybe he had done some of the things people were claiming and did find it odd that he refused to leave his house. Until we actually knew the real him, I was judgemental and like the rest of the people in the small town of Maycomb. This novel really caused a change inside of me, I feel that some of my judgemental ways have disappeared and I saw things the way the children did by looking at things from other peoples’ points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog. We appreciate your time.