Class of 2013

Class of 2013
SGS is the BEST!

Monday, April 7, 2014

Life is a constant battle, and we are forever left on the field...

“This is a battle, a war, and the casualties could be your hearts and souls.” This quote is from “Dead Poets Society”, said by Mr. Keating, the boy’s English teacher. For some reason, this quote stuck to me once I heard it. Maybe it’s because throughout life you suffer from battles. The battle could be anything: addiction,family problems, serious losses, and depression. We fight these battles, some lasting longer than others, some leaving bigger scars than others or some leaving you hanging on your last wits. These battles could be life changing, for the better or for the worse. To me, everyone has a battle they are currently fighting. These battles could be if you should smoke that cigarette today or take another swig of alcohol, or even if you should eat another piece of cake. If you think you're not fighting a battle, then you’re wrong.You’re fighting against whether to face the truth or to keep making excuses to avoid them. These battles could leave you with a broken soul and heart, but some can leave you stronger and sometimes happier.
In “Dead Poets Society”, the boys all had battles of their own. All of which connected to pleasing their parents or living up to their expectations. Some of their battles were less serious, some overcoming them. Neil’s battle was ended short, while Todd’s battle was turning for the better. These boys fought these battles in different ways, but they all had inspiration: Carpe Diem. Mr. Keating helped the boys through this, through it to the very end. They grew stronger, and they learned a few things along the way. They learned that life is a battle, a war, and the casualties could be your hearts and souls.
I don’t know what I’m battling right now. I’m battling something, but it just hasn't come to mind what it could be. I feel as though some of your biggest battles go without you even noticing it until the end. I know I've battled things in the past, some of which I lost, but some of which I came up stronger and tried again to win. The battles of my past have made me who I am right now, and I guess I’m happy. Because if I were to win all these battles, I’m not sure if I would be pleased with myself.  I know as I go on into high school some of my greatest battles will come into play, and I pray that I overcome. These battles however, will change me. They will make me the person I’m supposed to be. I just hope these battles only change me for the better, and make me a better person. I’m not sure if i’m even prepared for these battles, but honestly, is anyone? We shouldn't be fearful of them, but instead build up all the courage and will to come out victorious.  So for now, I'll raise my weapon, and prepare for the battles that will come about in my future. Because, I know life is a battle, a war, and the casualties could be your hearts and souls.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Amaya,
    I love and agree with that quote. I love it, because it is saying that life is a continuing battle. There is no way out. I like who it is so truthful and definitely relatable.

    ~Angela, grade 7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela,
      Thank you for replying to my blog post! I'm glad you enjoyed the quote as much as I did :-)

      Delete
  2. Really Nice job Amaya! I love how thought provoking and insightful your post was. I definitely agree with you. I found this article about a person fighting a battle because he was affected by the Boston marathon bombings. Very nice post! And here is the link to the article: http://parade.condenast.com/269814/jeffbauman/boston-marathon-survivor-jeff-bauman-on-the-day-everything-changed/
    - Olivia
    Grade 8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im going through a hard time right now and that is why your post stood out to me. I really enjoyed this post! Good job! -Katie 7 grade

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog. We appreciate your time.