Class of 2013

Class of 2013
SGS is the BEST!

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Grammar is EVERYTHING! By Amaya Drew

         Grammar is one of the essentials you learn in Grade school. You should carry grammar on until you die. I feel if you don't have grammar, you have nothing! From essays to resumes, poor grammar is the result of failing or being passed for the job. We all make grammar mistakes, but when you use it poorly in your everyday life, it's just shows others that you're not such a bright person. I admit to making the simple grammar mistake of "your and you're" form time to time, but you live and learn. Some don't really think so.
         In the article "I won't hire people who use poor grammar, Wiens explains that even if you are superb in skills and technique, you WILL NOT be hired if you fail to use correct grammar. This is something I totally believe in. You won't be working as a writer,but how would you make your company look if all of their employees are mixing up "your and you're." It just give the company a bad look. Wiens also says that grammar is credibility, especially on the Internet. How many times on Social networking sites have you commented "it's you're, not your" or "you used there when it's they're" on a status or tweet? I'm guessing an abundance, correct? It is indeed annoying, and you are very tired of commenting the same mistakes. One of Wien's statements in the article stood out to me the most. He said "Good grammar makes good business sense, not just to writers". I simply love it. You could be applying for a job as a waiter, but you should still have your grammar in tact. If you talk to me like you've missed out on grade school, I will not tip you as much. This applies to all jobs. It's just the way it works. Teenagers are the epitome of bad grammar. We use slang in our everyday world. If you use this slang in front of your friends, fine. However, in school or in the work place, you should be able to write a summary without having your teacher rip their hair out or cry in a corner. I also like when Wiens explained that applicants who make less grammar mistakes make less mistakes in the work place. I'm not in total agreement with him. If you are a A+ student, then the slang you use with your friends should not affect you. If it does, then you should really consider laying the slang off a little.
          Grammar is part of life. I have yet to perfect it. In all honesty, no one will. However, if you have the grammar of a 5 year old, you might want to work on that before entering any work.

22 comments:

  1. Amaya, I simply love this 1st post of yours that I recommended it on Twitter and Google+. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one correction I feel should be made. The last slide? "For the love of God, stop!" Overall I loved reading this blog! Nice job Amaya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marco. Yours was also a very well written article!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. That was really good I love it. It was well written and proofread!
    NG-SGGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really good I love it. It was well written and proofread!
    NG-SGGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your usage of everyday scenarios in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the reality in this post. "Teenagers are the epitome of bad grammar." As you stated, is very true in my eyes. By the way, I love the picture!

    YE-SGGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I feel like the teacher who rips their hair out. I hate going to internet pages where people say such things as "lol i just 8 sum icekreme wit mah frandssss". Your blog post really related to me and I loved it. Great Job!
    -MM SGGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! With my english teacher we're not as bad, but sometimes we make the common mistakes.

      Delete
  8. Very well written post Amaya. I agree, and I loved your comic! Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! No, I had to find a grammar related pic that I could use legally.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! No, I had to find a grammar related pic that I could use legally.

      Delete
  9. I like your post! It is very well written and easy to understand. I understand that we should use proper grammar on job applications and school essays but what if you are just texting your friend? We're only in 8th grade wouldn't they understand. Other than that, I think your post was great. I especially love this line, " Grammar is part of life. I have yet to perfect it. In all honesty, no one will." Very well said!

    -Casey Grade 8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! To answer you're question, you can use text speech with your friends, but if it affects your work, you shouldn't use it. But we are teens, so for us it's to a limit. I'm glad you enjoyed reading!!

      Delete
  10. I think your right. Great job

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog. We appreciate your time.