Class of 2013

Class of 2013
SGS is the BEST!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Making a Personal Response

In chapters 17-22, in "To Kill a Mockingbird", prejudice strikes me to most. It blows my mind, how innocent this man, Tom Robinson, is and the white men of the jury still find him to be guilty. Prejudice is just a foggy window that the people of Maycomb all look into and can't seem to see past it. Atticus proved to everybody that Tom was not able to commit this crime. You can look this man in the eyes and see the agony, and know the truth! At the end of the trial Atticus gives a speech to the jury, and proves that Tom was innocent. He stated that all men are equal, and that everybody is a human being and should be treated like one as well. Atticus knew the jury and everybody in the court room knew Tom was innocent, but they are blinded by prejudice and his the color of his skin.

While I was reading these chapters, my heart was affected emotionally. The water works started to come him when the jury said that Tom was guilty, because anybody on God's green earth can tell that this man did not do this crime. I learned that justice during that time period was not served the right way, or especially fairly. It was basically served by what kind of person you are, and what the color of your skin was. To Kill a Mockingbird, changed my view on things dramatically. I feel terribly sorry for Tom and his family, and my heart aches in pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog. We appreciate your time.